Coprinus comatus – The shaggy ink cap

This mushroom is not a native, but it grows in Australia.  It is often found in parks and on waste ground and once established in a patch of ground, they will come up year after year.  Often, they favour grassed areas where the grass clippings are allowed to rot down in situ.  The one below is on the edge of the local football oval where it comes up each year with the onset of the first rains and continues to fruit through winter.

These mushrooms, in common with all the members of the genus, self-decompose into a black inky mess.   The one above is beginning to go through that process and the one below is well into it.

For culinary purposes, the mushrooms need to be picked before the decomposition process has set in.  Decomposing specimens need to be kept apart from fresh ones.   They can be kept in iced water in the fridge for about half a day to avoid onset of the decomposition reaction.

For years I tried to incorporate these mushrooms into dishes without much success.  They always turned into a horrible slimy mess.  Then someone explained the trick.  You need to slice them and then toss them in a pan for a while on low heat until they have lost a good proportion of their moisture.  After that, they can be cooked as you would a normal mushroom.  The de-watering step ensures that they remain firm during the cooking process.

It is also possible to dry these mushrooms if you happen to have a dryer, or if the weather is sunny.  Drying must be done to the point of crispness.  Once dried, they can be used to impart a distinctive flavour to dishes.

Some members of the genus contain a compound that reacts with alcohol in the same way the the drug antabuse does.  This particular species, however, does not contain anything that interacts adversely with alcohol.

Footnote May 2011. I found a large patch of these growing nearby a few days ago and picked several kilograms of them. In order to handle them quickly, I decided to chop them and render them down to a soup in a stainless steel pot. It was an expensive pot with a copper insert in the base and I bought it for making jam. They rendered down nicely and I left the pot on the stove overnight, then decanted it into two smaller containers in the morning. The resultant mix had a pleasant, almost sweet smell. However, upon tasting a small sample of soup made from the mix, my senses were soon overcome by an unpleasant metallic taste. Research suggests that this is 1-octene-3-one. I can still taste it after 24 hours and two intervening meals. I have never tasted anything with such a persistant after taste. So that is something to be wary of with this mushroom. I have dried a smaller sample of them, and will investigate their taste with caution.

7 Responses so far »

  1. 1

    Karin Malchus said,

    did the mushrooms interact with the copper perhaps?

    • 2

      morrie2 said,

      Hi Karin,

      The copper was sandwiched between layers of stainless steel and so there was no copper in contact with the contents of the pot. It is just there to improve the heat transfer and prevent hot spots, as stainless is a fairly poor conductor of heat.


  2. 3

    Max Hamilton said,

    Hi Morrie, I’m at Blackheath in the Blue Mountains in NSW. We get a regular crop of what I am 99% sure are shaggy ink caps but that 1% has discouraged me from trying them. Are there any other poisonous types that look similar enough to be confused by? Some of my “shaggy ink caps” are coming up now hence my search and discovery of your site.

    • 4

      morrie2 said,

      Hi Max,

      I am not aware of any look-alikes. There are other species of Coprinus that turn to ink, but none are as large as Coprinus comatus. There is a little bit of regional variation and I have seen them growing both in large clusters and individually.

      Perhaps you can find someone local who can reassure you about the ID? There is no fun in eating something unless you are happy about the identification. That said, these are pretty distinctive. A google image search may help too.

      Good luck


  3. 5

    Carolyn said,

    hi wikipedia ( fount of all knowledge) lists a poisonous lookalike in europe – the magpie mushroom. c. comatus is easily cultivated comercially i see overseas so you can have your own patch easily if you like them. I have also read of a dry sautee method for the more watery mushrooms like boletes – use no oil low heat and sprinkle with a little salt to draw the moisture. might be also good for inkcaps. i haven’t found any yet – hoping hoping

    • 6

      morrie2 said,

      Thanks Carolyn,

      I guess that the Magpie fungus could be confused with Coprinus comatus. Thats one to look out for. The dry saute method is along the same lines of what I mentioned in the post. It was shown to me by a Frenchman when I found those big clusters of them growing at Cradle Mountain. I am sure that you will find some if you keep your eyes peeled, and also put the word out to others to look out for you.

      I have grown a single specimen, so it isn’t impossible, thats for sure. I used straw soaked in calcium nitrate. I still have a culture here somewhere. I’m hoping to put up a growing house this year. hoping…. 🙂


  4. 7

    Trevor McGowan said,

    Coprinus comatus – The shaggy ink cap. These are a light but delicious mushroom. My first experience was while living in the Pine Forest at Ludlow, Western Australia. I ate them and drank some wine and almost immediately vomited. After reading about others similar experience Ive chosen to only eat them before they become shaggy and blue at the base, and have happily consumed then regularly within season.

    So, it may be that when the Ink Cap becomes shaggy there maybe some element preventing our liver from breaking down alcohol and thus rendering it toxic. The toxicity not being the ingredient in the mushroom but rather the alcohol itself not being broken down in the liver.

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: